Monday, October 4, 2010

Research Ethics and Conduct

I could not agree more with the research ethics and tutorials explaining the purposes of disclosure of information, or vice-versa. However I feel I could run into several issues depending on how necessary it is to be completely forth-coming to the volunteers. While in Ecuador and with the negative reputation Anthropologists have with indigenous communities in Latin America, we had to disguise ourselves as Ecotourists simply looking to learn more about the communities and their cultural traditions. There was a trade-off in that we could not publish any of our research, but to what degree should the participants in our interviews have known of what we were doing? Or was it fairly obvious that we were not Ecotourists? It was evident to the participants in the communities that we were there for educational purposes, but again not necessarily that we were Anthropologists in the field. I do not see any other issues with the other sources I will be using as I (hope) that they were approved with their research methods, but we found no issues while in the field during the research we conducted. Because we were "Ecotourists" just educating ourselves, we were able to not only achieve our research goals, but were also able to connect on an amiable relational level with the indigenous communities. What was interesting most importantly however is the fact that even having casual conversation contributed more to what we were researching rather than the formal interviews, which of course we could mention casually in our field notes but not specifically in our reports. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment